Features of testing for different localizations
of mobile applications
Some of the main criterias of testing in mobile applications are:
- the most popular types of devices among the potential users;
- the popularity rating of devices models;
- support of different screen sizes;
- mobile phone settings.
However, very often localization verification is lost during software testing. Applications have the ability to focus on international users. Software should have possibility to change languages for usability. We try to adapt our testing process to customer requirements on application work. We would like to pay attention to localization testing, because this type of testing is often being ignored. Checking during testing:
- static elements. Titles can have different length, size of symbols, text direction. As a result, labels can not fit or be displaced;
- controls and information pop ups;
- possibility to enter data in the language of localization;
- conversion correctness. Icons ought to conform to the local, and the elements should remain unchanged if there is no need to convert them.
We would like to share our experience.
While testing we faced the next feature on IOS devices: application language did not correspond to chosen language because mobile phone language was displayed by default. For example: the language of your mobile phone is En, you choose application language Ar. After registration the language of application is En.
How you can change language on your device (example on iOS):
Open setting – General – Language & Region – IPhone language -choose language
For user convenience, our team decided to show an informative pop up after registration with the following content: «Please restart application to apply primary language of your account», that is much more convenient to make acquaintance with the application. And as a result, users don’t need to research iOS opportunities where to change device language or to find a language switch in the new installed application.
We will be happy if our experience is helpful to you! Thank you for your attention!